CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Normal Life

My kids are in the next room, fighting over an ugly red polyester purse. The purse, of an unknown origin, is an Asian-style. My daughter filled it with treasures -- a plastic lei from my birthday party, an alligator doll, a sparkly yellow bouncy ball. My son is impressed with the collection she put together -- such panache -- so he runs down the hall with the intent of keeping these goodies to himself.

A frozen lasagna warms in the oven. I can hear the dog whining in the laundry room. My husband should be home within the hour. We will gather around the table as a family. Maybe the kids will play in the yard after dinner; maybe they will watch a recorded Mickey Mouse cartoon. My son will stall over his plate, while my daughter will eat quickly. I can imagine the scene because I know their patterns so well.

Sometimes, after a day of 'pastoral care', it is hard to bear the mundane activities in my house. Because I know that across town, things are so precarious. Because I know that a family or two balances on the precipice of oblivion. Because my business card and an offer to help and a few words of prayer can only do so much.

Simon Peter answers the question, "Do you love me?" by assuring Christ, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." Tend my lambs, feed my sheep.

Dora the Explorer uses a purple, singing map to find her way across the spooky forest. Mickey Mouse has 'mousekatools'. That doofus on Blue's Clues uses a handy-dandy notebook. Must be nice...

19 Comments:

  1. PPB said...
    so beautifully said.
    LambSoup said...
    I regularly turn to your blog as one of my mile markers, it so happens. It reminds me a little of St. Benedict's Rule, which also deals in dailiness.
    LittleMary said...
    hmmmmm
    Joy said...
    Frequently I am asked how I handle my job as a pediatric nurse. "How do you deal with sick kids and kids that are dying?" I always answer the same. I go home every night and kiss my kids and count my blessings. Its the "mundane activities" at home that continually keep me going. I can relate with thinking about what is happening on the other side of town or as I say...the other side of the river. sometimes it is hard to enjoy the mundane, knowing that another mother is hurting. Thanks for all you do!!!!
    Heather W. Reichgott said...
    the power of dailiness, indeed.

    thanks for a very meaningful post!
    more cows than people said...
    (o)
    reverendmother said...
    Nice.

    And wow, that guy really IS a doofus.
    Cecilia said...
    Blessings, (((Alex))).

    Pax, C.
    Princess of Everything (and then some) said...
    Oh Wow. Just Wow.
    Brett said...
    I love you, honey. You are doing a good job.
    steve said...
    Compassion for the people you work with is worth far more than a map, notebook, or mousketool. It just isn't as immediately reassuring.

    Peace.
    RevRosa said...
    I like what Steve said--I believe the work of loving requires more in the way of courage and compassion and hope than maps and notebooks. And I am glad that you finding my blog has led me to finding yours. I look forward to lots more visits...
    Iris said...
    (o)
    Liz said...
    I'm guilty. I bought Lily the purse. I think I bought it at Target last year. That was when she was in her "purse" stage.
    LambSoup said...
    Note to Liz: I hear Lily's graduated to the suitcase stage, although it sounds like the red vinyl purse is worth fighting for.
    Liz said...
    To Lambsoup:

    I MISS the stages!!!
    LambSoup said...
    Another note to Liz: Um, your lovely daughter still has stages, I think.
    Liz said...
    To Lambsoup, You are amazingly astute.
    LambSoup said...
    Thank you, Liz.

Post a Comment